Canon EOS finally released what we’ve all been waiting for, The Canon EOS C300. Not truly a DSLR and definitely not your traditional cinema rig, this tiny wonder will lead their full frontal assault on RED and Arri. Here’s the specs thus far:
- The C300 has an EF mount supporting Canon’s own extensive line of still photography lenses.
- C300 PL has the popular Arri “Positive Lock” PL mount is compatible with a broad range of third-party PL-mount lenses
- Single 8.3 megapixel 2160×3840 Super-35 CMOS sensor (4K resolution) with Digic DV III processor
- Canon XF codec (50Mbps 4:2:2 1080p30 MPEG2 MXF) records to two Compact Flash card slots
- Canon Log gamma, SDI, compact body, Custom Presets and menus similar to Canon XF series
- Exposure and focus control are completely manual — there is no AE or AF on either camera
- Sold as a system, incl. LCD monitor / XLR audio unit, side grip, top handle, batt. & charger
- Availability: Jan. 2012
After Canon announced their much anticipated EOS C300 cinema camera and with it their entry into the professional movie making market, RED digital cinema had something to say too.
In an evening where almost all the relevant sites including reduser.net itself were down it was exciting news when the info started to spread on twitter.
And here are the specs:
- It is called Scarlet-X
- Canon EF mount (PL mount optional)
- Super35 sized sensor
- does 50mb/s, 440 mb/s redcode raw, 16bit RAW processing
- Video: 4k @ 30fps, 3k @ 48fps, 2k @ 60fps, 1k @ 120fps
- Stills: 5k
- supports autofocus w Canon and Nikon mounts
- Same weight as Epic
- Only difference in image between Scarlet and Epic is data rate
Ships: Dec. 1st
Price: $14k for full working package